Thursday 13 May 2021

My creative Refugee Story

 The other day we went on a Refugee walk, and so today one of the task options was to create my own creative Refugees. Refugees are people that flee from their homes to go somewhere else. Because they are now unable to stay where they are. In class we had also been reading a book called refugee, it was about 3 different stories about 3 different kids. All the kids are refugees and are from different decades. Down below this piece of writing is my story.

Have you read the book Refugee?

The trekking was tough, I had to carry my weight in rocks, sticks and

shelter supplies. I could not keep my two feet balanced. Mainly, because

of the heavy cargo, and harsh weather. The rain speckling 24/7 on us, the muddy mush becoming thick and slowly hardening on my feet, then

once I stand in a puddle every few seconds, it all seeps into my hole

covered, empty feeling and very old converse. The star logo fading to

anyones eye. My friends and family stare at me through soaking faces

and dirt covered glasses. I see one of my mates pick up an old piece of

twine, from an old shoe lace. I walk over, they say that this is good rope

for our shelter. That motivational speech I heard from them, seemed

to me motivational. I got everyone in the group ready and we trudged on,

all my friends panting behind me. I heard voices and it was getting dark,

I looked behind me only to see the speckling of people turning on

flashlights. I looked at my group unaware of what was coming, the

people ended up spotting us. I had to get us away fast. I called on the

rest of us to hurry up. Trying not to startle them too much. We start

jogging, which turns into a run, then a run, then a sprint, and then a

scream sprint. Then I hear gravel crunching from the men chasing us,

but ignore it. I tell my group to run faster and they do, then I throw

a hat on the floor of one direction and we go the opposite. Then

I grab someone’s bag.That had a couple of rocks in it, and the bag cost

about $0.10, then I throw it the opposite way that we are going. We

start running and running until we come to a clearing, surrounding it

was trees and thorns. Just the place to hide out for the night. I get

everyone in with the help of my friends. Once inside I pull out the

shelter equipment and give it to all the adults. They make a shelter

within 15 minutes. Once that is done I grab out the rice and water. I

start to make the rice but then I realise that I left the Firestarter

at home. I start to panic and go around everyone looking for a lighter.

No one has one but someone comes up to me 30 minutes later, with a

handmade bow drill. They then teach me how to use the bow drill. I'm

surprised with their skills and get them to make the fire for our meal.

Once they made the fire I start preparing the rice properly, and I get

the water from someone's hydro flask. It's all old, blue, and scratched.

I thank them for letting me borrow their only water, and I call them over

to help me do the honour of pouring in the water. 

Then I dish up all the children a big handful of rice, in a plastic cup that we found on the way here. That was in someone’s skip. They had

to eat it with their bare hands. The thing is that their hands were

covered in mud, dirt and dog poop. After 30 minutes the children

started feeling sick, and I wasn't sure how this was going to go.

Because we had no medicine. 


The End

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this story Jennah you understood the hardship those kids felt was the dog your own part of story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Grandma, thanks so much for taking the time out of your day to comment.
      I am not sure what you mean by dog, though.
      Once again thanks so much for commenting on my blog, much appreciated.
      From Jennah.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennah,

    What a great piece of writing you have done. You have really captured the hardship and the challenges a child would feel when being a refugee.

    It makes me feel sad for all those children who are going through this.

    I really like how you have used descriptive language such as speckling of people and muddy mush becoming thick and slowly hardening on my feet.

    Next time, it would be good to see you use some paragraphs, this will make it easier to read.

    Are you going to continue this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Holland, Thanks so much for commenting on my blog.
      Next time I definitely will use paragraphs, and no I probably won't continue on this story, though. Thanks again Miss Holland.
      From Jennah.

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post