Sunday 24 November 2019

Saving Sand dunes

Today we did a programme on our Sand dunes, and how they form, how they get destroyed.

They taught us that there is 3 main things that destroy sand dunes over time,
1) People
2) Wind
3) water/ocean

Did you know how the sand gets to the beach well here is the way it works.
So part of the mountains break off and breaks down and ends up in the river which ends up in the ocean and then it blows onto the beach.

Sand dunes also help with Tsunami´s or stormy waves because when huge waves come, the sand dunes help hold off the waves.

On the sand dunes there are 4 main plants that grow and help the sand stay together.
1. Pingao
2. Spinifex
3. Ice plant
4. Marram

The man that taught us about sand dunes told us a story, from about 15 years ago, and it is true. Here it is: Once there was an elderly couple that had a house across from some sand dunes, they phoned the council and complained about how they could not see the ocean. People agreed with the couple so the council got a digger to take a scoop out of the sand dunes. The two sides of the remaining sand dunes started blowing through the middle, unfortunately the sand started flying into the couples roof, and eventually the roof became to heavy with all the sand and so it collapsed. The couple were not hurt, but after the roof fell there was about 2 tons of sand in the roof.
There is a lesson in that story, do not mess with nature.

Carousel imageCarousel image
Do you like my groups sand dune?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post