Tuesday 19 November 2019

Summary on Earthquakes

Summary on earthquakes


In this article summarising an article, I am going to tell you about earthquakes, making a long story short. 


Earthquakes can be very deadly. That is because of the result of strain
built up in rocks due to earth movements.


The earth is made up of several different layers, One layer is the crust.
Which is the outer layer. The crust is made from solid rock, beneath which lies the mantle of magna,
a layer of molten rock. 


Scientists can predict when earthquakes are going to strike.
Seismologists use special equipment to measure the intensity of the shock waves and to monitor
(active)  fault lines. The size and force is measured on the Richter scale.


A large earthquake measures five or more on the scale, but small tremors measures only two or three.


Fact one:
According to Ancient Hindu mythology, the earth was held up by huge elephants.
The Hindus believed that earthquakes occured when one of the elephants became tired and shook
their heads.

Fact two: Tsunamis, or giant waves, form near the coast following an Earthquake under the sea.
A earthquake under the sea. A tsunami can be high as 50 metres and travel
at speeds of up to 750 km/hr an hour. In June 1896, a tsunami hit the Japanese island of Honshu,
drowning 26000 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post