Thursday 2 January 2020

Rosa Parks

For many years people have been separated because of their skin colour, people like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr believed that this was not right.

The problem back in the day was that black and white people were separated - they went to different schools, used different toilets, and sat in different parts of a bus, as well as different sections of a restaurant.
This is called 'Segregation'.

Rosa Parks (in 1955) got on a bus in Alabama, (United States of America) and once the bus was full, she refused to give up her seat for a white passenger.

The actions from people like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr are instrumental in changing the way that African Americans were treated in the United States.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Jennah,

    I like how you included a picture of Rosa Parks and explained what segregation is and how it affected her. It helps your readers understand what you are saying when you define terms like this and especially when you give examples like you did when referencing people attending different schools based on colour. Your post is brilliant, well structured, and eloquently written.

    Segregation was such a horrible thing to have happened, but thankfully we have improved greatly as a people, though we do still have a little way to go. I’m a strong believer that in order to truly understand other cultures and races, we must accept and celebrate what makes us different, not shy away from them, and your post made me think about how different it must have been in the 50’s when all of this was going on.

    Rosa Parks was an incredibly brave woman who stood up for what she believed in. Have you ever stood up for what you believed in? What was it for?

    Ngā mihi maioha,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post