Thursday 2 January 2020

A journal entry as Nelson Mandela

For the Summer Learning Journey we had to put our feet in Nelson Mandela's shoes, and imagine we are in jail. Living like Nelson Mandela.

2/1/20
Today was rough breaking concrete into gravel is killing my back, and I keep finding concrete in between my toes. I feel absolutely exhausted. My fingernails have dust all under them and my heels have blisters for miles.
My jail cell is like a giant block of concrete with steel metal bars and a *boulder with a sheet on it. Tomorrow we have an even harder job making breakfast and then I, just me, have to do all the laundry and worst of all break more concrete. I wonder if one day this prison will get a little
more pain free.
I look across the the rows of other people in their blocks of concrete, and see them writing in their journals. I see one guy with scrapes full of gravel, the scrapes are from heavy lifting all that concrete blocks.
My uniform has got stains and rips everywhere so that means it is freezing. The guard just came past he said "Lights out" so I guess more writing tomorrow night.
Aloha Journal, more of my day of stories tomorrow.


Do you like my story?








*boulder as in a really hard and rough mattress/bed.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Jennah,

    Wow, you’ve really captured a scary prison experience. You’ve done a tremendous job and I’m impressed by how well you conveyed so many different emotions; from pain to exhaustion to fear. I particularly like your use of metaphor, referring to your bed as a boulder because it is so hard. You’ve successfully created a great visual. I also quite like how you included a date on your journal entry as well.

    I can’t imagine being stuck in a concrete room for so long. It would be so boring, though granted you would have a lot of time to think. If you were stuck in a barren room for a few days, what would you do to pass the time? I think I’d read or practice drawing. Perhaps I could create my own world to escape.

    Quick tip: perhaps you could include some visuals of the conditions you think Nelson Mandela would have lived in to really enhance your post. These could add interest and appeal to your readers.

    Ngā mihi maioha,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post